Cowboy Adventures During the Wild West
The Wild West The Wild West refers to the period that ran from the Civil War in 1865 to about 1900. It recounts the tales about the brave pioneers and settlers, those who ruled the cow kings the gold mining, steamboats and railroads and the cowboys, Indians outlaws, gun slingers. Famous characters from The Wild West include Whyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Bat Masterson, Billy the Kid Calamity Jane, and Belle Starr. Following the time that the first European colonists arrived in America Many move westward in search of a new beginning and the promise of wealth. The West provided land, fertile soil for agriculture, and also new opportunities to make money which could not be achieved elsewhere in the East. The Two-Fisted Town Tamer Thomas James Smith, also called "Bear River Smith" (12 June 1830 - 2 Nov 1870) was a lawman of the American Wild West and a marshal in the town of cattle, Abilene, Kansas. Smith was a calm lawman with a reputable reputation, who was from New York City, where Smith was an officer in the police force. For more detail please visit:- As an officer of the police working in New York City in 1868, Smith was involved in the fatal shooting of a 14-year-old boy following which he quit his post. He was also an attorney in small towns like Wyoming, Bear River and in Kit Carson, Colorado. Marshal of Abilene Abilene, Kansas, was an unruly town of cattle with a myriad of brothels, saloons and even lawlessness. Since 1867, the rate of crime grown to the point that shootings and murders were a frequent event. Tom Smith was commissioned as the Deputy US Marshal to enforce peace and law to Abilene in 1869. He insisted that he could enforce law using his fists instead of guns. Shortly after his appointment, Smith overpowered both, "Big Hank" Hawkins and "Wyoming Frank" and banished the two from Abilene, after beating both of them at the same with his only hands. Smith also proposed the "no guns in the town limits" law that was very popular. In the following two months, Smith survived two assassination attempts. His reputation for toughness and numerous arrests of lawbreakers helped him to be admired and loved by the people of Abilene. On November 2nd, in 1870 Smith along with a deputy who was on leave were sent to serve an arrest warrant on Andrew McConnell and Moses Miles regarding the murder of an Abilene citizen. The suspects were located ten miles away from Abilene in which a gunfight broke out. Smith was severely wounded in the chest, and his deputy left the scene. Moses Miles then took an Axe and cut off Tom Smith. McConnell as well as Miles were arrested and snatched in the month of March 1871. Andrew McConnell got 12 years in prison, and Moses Miles spent 16 years before being released. Tom Smith was buried in Abilene in the city of Abilene. A massive tombstone was built with a plaque in honor of his work in Abilene. Smith was substituted as marshal by the legendary gunfighter and lawman "Wild Bill" Hickock. Ronald Reagan, as the host of the western-themed television show syndicated by the network, Death Valley Days, was the character Smith in the episode of 1965 "No Gun Behind His Badge". Colter's Run John Colter (c.1770-1775 - May 7 1770 - November 22, 1812 or 22 November, 1813) was a mountaineer and an explorer who was a participant in the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803-1806 that was commissioned by the President Thomas Jefferson, to explore and map the newly acquired American Northwest from Napoleonic France, and beyond after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. Colter was also the first person with European descent to visit the area that later became Yellowstone National Park and to be able to see the Teton Mountain Range during the winter of 1807-1808. Blackfeet Indians The year 1809 was when Colter joined forces with John Potts, another former participant of the Lewis and Clark Expedition to capture beaver to use for the lucrative trade in fur near the Jefferson River in what is today Montana when they came across several hundreds of the notorious Blackfeet Indians while traveling by canoe. The Blackfeet requested that they be brought to shore. Colter agreed and was then disarmed as well as stripped of his clothes. Potts refused to leave and was wounded and shot. Potts later killed one of the Indian warriors, and was plagued by arrows fired by the Indians from the shore. The body was later taken to the shore, where it was hacked into pieces. Run-For-Life When the Blackfeet pondered on how to kill Colter The chief then chose to let him escape for his life, and be pursued by the Indians using spears. They brought him to an adjacent plain where they gave him a three-to four hundred yard starting point. Colter was aware that he had to outrun the Blackfeet to have any chance of survival. He began his run-for-life on the plain, and was able to beat the Indians with the exception of one who was just a few yards ahead of him. In a bid to avoid the anticipated spear-throw, he abruptly stopped then turned around and extended his arms. The shocked Indian, too exhausted from his run and shivering, fell after attempting to throw the spear. Colter quickly grabbed the spear, killing the Indian. He then continued to run, along with the other Indians who were following him at a distance. Colter was able to cross his destination on the Madison River, five miles from where he started and was able to hide under driftwood in a lodge for beavers. He could hear the yells from the Blackfeet, and they turned up and down the river to locate him. He waited until night before he stepped out and walked naked and frozen towards the fort of a trader. Colter was weaker due to fatigue and hunger, surviving solely on bark and roots and was bleeding on his feet from the thorns of a cactus that poked his feet. Amazingly, Colter reached Manuel Lisa's Fort in just seven days, where Colter was welcomed by his acquaintances. After a couple of weeks, when his strength returned and strength, he returned to the Blackfeet Country in the winter months to retrieve the traps he left behind. John Colter lived five more years following his amazing run, and died from jaundice in Missouri in the state of Missouri, where he is buried in a grave that is not marked. Alexander Todd Former clerk, Alexander Todd got gold fever and decided to go to California to try his luck. He quickly realized that he wasn't equipped with the strength to do the gruelling work of the gold fields of the frigid rivers of the Mother Lode (rich source of an ore , or mineral). It didn't take his long to discover ways to earn money without the need to pan for gold. California Gold Rush California was growing rapidly with the gold rush, and getting an official letter to San Francisco to the Mother Lode country was a challenge. Federal government officials were sending mail to California via the Isthmus of Panama, a route that was just as long and uncertain for the postal delivery as was the Forty-Niners (gold seekers during 1849's California gold rush of 1849).). Todd searched the mining camps and enrolled hundreds of miners in solitude who were desperate for a call from home. The closest post office was located in San Francisco which was a two-week journey there and to return. The miners could not leave their land for too long, so they signed up for the mail service. On the 14th of July 1849, Todd began delivering post to the San Francisco post office charging $2.50 for a letter, and one ounce of gold. $16 for delivery to the person who delivered all mail he could find at mine camps. In his first visit on his first trip, he handed over $150,000 of gold to some merchants for an organization in San Francisco and was paid $7,500. After Todd gave the postmaster at the San Francisco post office the lengthy list of names, the clerk swears Todd into the position of a postal clerk to search the letters on his own costing twenty-five cents per letter he discovered. This didn't bother Todd since he'd discovered another method of earning money. He purchased the old New York newspapers for a dollar each , and then sold them for $8 at Gold Fields. Another business that he created to make money was the packing of gold from mining camps to deposit it in San Francisco in exchange for five percent of its worth. Everything he Did Turned to Gold Without touching the handle of a shovel or a pick, Alexander Todd made a fortune with his old American genius. Charles Marion Russell (1864 - 1926) Charles Marion Russell, "the cowboy artist," storyteller and writer (also called C. M. Russell, Charlie Russell, and "Kid" Russell) was born in St. Louis, Missouri on the 19th of March, 1864. The artist was a part from his time in the American Wild West who created more than 4,000 pieces of art in his lifetime. He worked with bronze, paint, wax, and ink of cattlemen, Indians as well as landscapes that were set in western Canada, in the Western United States and in Alberta, Canada. Russell was a fan of his "Wild West" and would read for hours about the region and loved talking to the fur traders and explorers who passed through Missouri. He began riding horses on Hazel Dell Farm near Jerseyville, Illinois, on a famous Civil War horse named Great Britain from Col. William H. Fulkerson who was got married to his family, the Russell family. At the age of 16, Russell left school to pursue his dream of living in his childhood dream of living in the Wild West as an aspiring cowboy on a sheep ranch in Montana and then moved into working with Jake Hoover, a hunter and trapper who was an rancher. From Hoover He learned a lot about the life of Hoover's Wild West and they remained forever friends. In 1882 when he was 18 years old, Russell worked as a cowboy in a variety of clothing companies in Montana. In 1885, the artist began his career in the field of art. In the winter of 1886-1887 when he was working on the O-H Ranch in the Judith Basin of Central Montana He painted a variety of watercolors. The ranch's foreman was sent an email from the owner asking what the cattle's experiences were during the harsh winter, he sent an image of a postcard that Russell painted of a shabby steer that was being snatched by wolves beneath a dark winter sky. The owner of the ranch presented the postcard to his friends and business associates, and later the postcard was displayed at a store display located in Helena, Montana giving Russell his first experience of publicity and commissions for his new work. His watercolorpainting "Waiting for a Chinook" was one of his most well-known paintings. Native American Culture The year was 1888. Russell acquired a wealth of knowledge about Native American culture when he was able to spend his time among the Blood Indians which was a part of Blackfeet. He was a vocal activist of Native Americans and supported the Chippewa to get an Indian reservation created for them in Montana. The year 1916 was the first time Congress approved legislation that would establish the Rocky Boy Reservation. Marriage In 1892, he moved to Great Falls, Montana and in 1896, he got married to the woman he was to marry, Nancy. From 1904 until the time of his demise in 1926, He also designed 46 subjects for casting in bronze. The painting of his in 1914 "When the Land Belonged to God" is an evocative work by an artist who is getting older who is looking back at his time during his time in the Wild West.. Worlwide Acclaim Charles Marion Russell had now become a household name and received international recognition. * Four Russell paintings were sold for more than $100,000. *"Water Girl (No. 1)," was sold for $220,000. *"Blood Chief" made $200,000. "Portrait of Indian" sold for $150,000. The painting he painted in 1918 Piegans was sold for $5.6 million. In 1955 the year 1955, he was inducted into in the Hall of Great Westerners of the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. The Iconic Stetson Hat John Batterson Stetson (May 5, 1830 - - February 18th 1906) was an American hatter who established the John B. Stetson Company manufacturing the iconic cowboy hat in 1865 , during the Gold Rush. The Stetson is most likely, the most well-known hat in the world, and is associated with the cowboy style. It is now an American tradition, just like apple pie, baseball as well as the 4th of July. Stetson was the name of his company, John B. Stetson Company with gold embossed on every hatband, and it became the most popular hat throughout the West. The first hat he sold for $5 and by 1900, he owned the largest hat manufacturing facility in the world. John B. Stetson John B. Stetson was born in New Jersey, the 8th of 12 children. The father of John Stetson, Stephen Stetson was a gambler, so when he was a child, John worked with him until the time he was diagnosed with tuberculosis that was terminal. In 1859, he quit the hat-making industry to pursue his love of his love of the American West and hoped to treat tuberculosis in an environment that was more natural. In the meantime, he was employed in his time during the Gold Rush at Pike's Peak, Colorado, where an estimated 100,000 gold seekers participated in one of the most significant Gold Rushes of North American history. In his travels within the West, Stetson also met bullwhackers, drovers and cowboys and observed their flea-infested cowskin caps, sea-captain hatsand straw hats, and wool derbies that were worn by many provided no protection. He believed the all-weather cap would be more suitable for the harsh conditions in the West and came up with an all-weather, waterproof felt hat that was strong, light and natural-looking. It has the four-inch crown and a wide brim that was plain with a strap band.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.